This internship runs over two back to back trips aboard the Similan Explorer. The Similan Explorer has a maximum capacity of 20 customers and makes 18 dives on each trip over a period of 5 days. This is your opportunity to, not just get some great diving on the Similans, but also to increase your knowledge of how the liveaboard market works.
You will be fully involved in the day to day workings, with the aim of providing you with an insight into working on liveaboards. You will be treated as a member of staff with special attention to your individual needs and learning abilities. You are expected to be an enthusiastic learner with a keen interest in people and customer service. Its not easy to live with your customers so you need to be a solution minded personality with a lot of positive energy.
Participating in a Dive-Careers Similan Liveaboard internship will help you develop your guiding and briefing skills as well as focusing on customer service and care. It will also give you valuable real life experience of running and preparing Similan liveaboards which will make you employable on other liveaboards around the world. This experience will give you a great opportunity to make contacts in the liveaboard industry and form good working relationships that will help you gain job placements in the future.
- Gearing up and the importance of using this time to interact with your customers gather information about their level of experience and their individual needs
- Learning how to select which customers to assign to specific dive groups during the trip
- Understanding the preparation steps for 5 days living and diving on a boat, including preparing to teach courses that are both known about prior to embarking on the trip and those that you may have to teach on the boat at short notice.
- Understanding the general workings of the liveaboard dive shop procedures and processes
THE LIVEABOARD EXPERIENCE (conducted over 2x 5 DAY TRIPS)
- Orientation of customers on the boat including briefing general diving procedures, the timetable and living together
- Assisting and assessing each customer on prepping and setting up their dive equipment
- Assessing dive site conditions and giving briefings about safe diving procedures
- Initial check dive duties
- Subsequent dives, either assisting or leading depending on the local conditions and the chosen dive site
- Emergency procedures and action plans
- Understanding the habitats and behavior of the marine life in Similan/Surin national parks
- Engaging in non-diving related activities, for example, visiting the islands and its inhabitants the Moken people
- Understanding importance of continuing education, nitrox and equipment sales on board
- General customer engagement and having a good time!
POST LIVEABOARD EXPERIENCE
- Ensuring continuing customer engagement to encourage positive reviews and referrals via social networks and trip advisor etc
- Checking, washing and storing of all dive equipment
- Occasionally, entertaining customers in the evening over dinner and a beer or two)